Thursday, August 18, 2011

Meet The Teacher and Easy Granola Bars

It's time again to meet the teacher and It is almost nerve racking for me as a parent and teacher. You hope your child's new teacher will knock your socks off. I also hope that I can do this for the parents that I meet! My inner wish for my children is that they have someone that will be creative and innovative, loving and push them to the best of their ability. Let the creativeness flow for all or it could be a long day for a child to sit in a chair!

Here is a recipe that was in the paper last week and thought I would share.
I always love something easy to make with my kids! The best part is that the kids really enjoy making these as they do eating them.


2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup wheat germ
1 cup sliced almonds
1/2 cup semi sweet or bittersweet chips or chunks
1/2 cup dried cranberries or cherries
1 can (14ounces) sweetened condensed milk

Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease a 9 square inch baking pan with vegetable cooking spray. We used Crisco butter flavored shortening in glass pan. When we made this we needed two pans one was 9 in and the other was a bit smaller. I wanted a bit of a smaller bar. Not too thick. You can adjust were needed. Also make sure to grease sides of pan this really helps getting the bars out!

Mix all ingredients in medium bowl. Turn into prepared pan and pat down until firmly packed. Bake until golden brown, about 30 minutes. Cool to room temperature and put pan in freezer. I did not put ours in the freezer.
Once cooled cut with sharp knife

Can be stored in an airtight container up to 1 week or frozen.

Enjoy, Elaine

1 comment:

  1. I have learned after 10 years of teaching that it isn't about impressing the colleagues or the parents...it's about loving the children. "How can I serve them" is what I ask myself...or pray about as I go to work. It takes the stress off of me to have it be about them. Good luck with the new school year!
    Blessings

    ReplyDelete