Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Shh! It's A Secret!


Don't you just love surprising someone with a special gift?   Well that is what I am going to try and do for my big brothers 50th birthday in May.   He has asked me now for years if I would make a fish rug for him.  Well I guess this is the best time to start and hopefully finish it up in time for his big birthday.  I looked at lots of fish rugs that I could find on the internet and in books. I needed some idea's on  the color and type of fish.   So I drew one up and I have to say none of the photos really helped in my color planning ideas!  Yikes!   So I just started to hook and this is what I have come up with so far.

My "much" older brother likes striped bass so I am hoping that is what this fish will turn out to be.  The background is another story!  I guess I will hook and just see what happens like the rest of the fish.   I did realize in this whole process that I like to "wing it" when it comes to color planning.  I had some wool for the fish but had to get at the dye pots for the rest. I also have not decided on the words that I am going to put in the background.  My choices are:
Pine Cabins or Lake Winnibigoshish.  This is a place we used to go when we were children.  Hopefully he won't find out about this little secret and that I will get this done in time!



Winging It!   Elaine

6 comments:

  1. Elaine ~
    What a wonderful birthday surprise. I won't tell ~ promise! Your colors are superb.
    Pug hugs :)
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your fish looks great and what a wonderful gift. You are a good sister.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this birthday surprise! He will be thrilled. You are doing a beautiful job!
    Hugs,
    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  4. He's going to LOVE this! What a lucky brother - and what a nice sister you are!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow....this looks wonderful so far! What a great surprise...a true gift from the heart.
    Robyn

    ReplyDelete