Thursday, April 28, 2011

Up And Running and Waldorf Stars!

Using 4in and 6in paper.

Using 10in paper.

 Well things can certainly bring things me!   Hail, wind, bronchitis, and pink eye you name it that is where I have been the last few weeks.   Now that I am feeling better my daughter and I started making stars out of tissue paper for the windows.   This is a lot of fun and a fairly simple project.  

These stars are beautiful hanging on a window as the sun shines through them. Many more complex designs can be made, but this is a nice simple one to start with. Any size paper will work. 3” squares are a nice size to work with. The transparency paper is a waxy transparent paper.  Tissue paper may work, but is more difficult to work with when folding and will fade more quickly in the sun.   We use tissue paper and they last about 5 months with direct sun light.
You will need:
8   3” square pieces of transparency paper, also known as kite-paper or colored tissue .
Glue Stick
1. Fold the sheets diagonally so that
points B and C meet. Unfold again
2. Fold points B and C to the diagonal
(b). Stick them down with a little
glue stick.
3. When all eight sheets are folded, assemble
the star. Stick the unfolded
bottom of the first star-point to the
diagonal of the next sheet (c). Continue
until all of the points have been arranged.
 Enjoy!   Elaine

Books to look at from Amazon:
Magical Window Stars
Crafts Through the Year

Kite Paper:
A Toy Garden
Imagine Childhood

Places to see:

Friday, April 1, 2011

MIxed Media

I have always liked doing mixed media.  It seems that I can find lots of things around the house to create my artwork.  I decided to make something for Easter and I am also lacking in Easter decor!  I wasn't sure what to make until I visited the Star Rug Company blog.   I really loved Maria's mixed media collages that she had created.  Never really thought of incorporating my rug hooking into a mixed media project!  I purchased an 8x10 stretched canvas to create this fun project.  For the background and bow I used paper. Buttons were used for the eyes and bow and fabric for the edging.  To keep it all together I used the magical Mod Podge!